Thursday 31 January 2013

Reading list

So I'm finally finished on my Christmas books, and got to the stage "What am I supposed to do now?" Start thinking about the future?! Haha, that wasn't funny but it's a nice enough tie in to what I'm reading at the moment.

I've read books in the past based on the future, my favourite of which are Shades Of Grey by Jasper Fforde and some book I read as a teen called The Giver, or which I cannot recall the author (answers on a postcard please!) Obviously I've read 1984 and Clockwork Orange, although actually set in our past on the timeline but futuristic for the time of writing.

The last Christmas book I had was J.K Rowling's new outing, The Casual Vacancy, which makes up for all the swearing she didn't put in Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows was getting there, "Get away from my daughter you bitch!") I don't know what set me off from that but I had a yearning to read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley which I found to be utterly superb. The visualisations were fantastic. That's lead on to Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? The one that got turned into Blade Runner. I'm kind of iffy about this one at the minute but I'm only a little way through. I'll post more when I get to it.

I've decided to include a reading list of the 'future' book I've read. If anyone is reading and has anymore suggestions then please leave me a comment. Thanks.

The Giver - Of which the author's name escapes me
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
Shades Of Grey - Jasper Fforde
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell

(I find now these were just a repeat of the main text, I thought I had more but that must be it. Sorry!)

Oh and if you're wondering what my Christmas books were then here they are (in order of reading):

Unsaid Things: Our Story - McFly
How To Be A Woman - Caitlin Moran
Moranthology - Caitlin Moran
The Killing Handbook - Emma Kennedy
An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries Of Karl Pilkington
The Further Adventures Of An Idiot Abroad - Karl Pilkington
The Casual Vacancy - J. K. Rowling

Next time will be music based probably so until then . . .

No comments: