Monday 2 March 2009

Viva City and Kaiser Chiefs

Viva City - The Other Rooms, 27/2/09
As told in previous blogs, I first came across these guys supporting The Futureheads at The Sage in December. Hearing there were to play their own show at The Other Rooms I decided to make a trip down and experience a full live show from them. And I wasn't disappointed. Tearing through a set of indie rave anthems, which sure as hell got the crowd dancing, Viva City clearly proved they are a band with a great future ahead of them having perfected the indie rave technique. The crowd were up for a good time and I thought hiding between the stage and the DJ box would save me from being hit in the face or something. After the show I reached over the stage for a setlist, which I'm sure no one minded me doing. The rest of the night played host to a DJ set from Viva City, of which I didn't stay for. I needed to get my energy back up for Kaiser Chiefs.

Kaiser Chiefs - Newcastle Metro Radio Arena, 28/2/09
I chose my now vintage Chiefs shirt from 2005. I've liked Kaiser Chiefs for so long now I'm surprised I hadn't been to see them before. We decided to skip the support bands, and, having checked the arena website for what time we expected our lovely Chiefs onstage we headed out to get there half an hour before. Meeting security on the door telling us we were cutting it fine we flew straight in and wended our way through the crowd to get a decent enough place near the front of the floor in front of the stage.
After years, yes, years, and they were on opening with new album starter Spanish Metal but what really started the show for me was the second song, Everday I Love You Less And Less. T'Chiefs played songs from all their albums as well as live favourite Take My Temperature during which Ricky Wilson walked through the crowd to the middle of the arena, standing on the podium to sing the song. At first I couldn't see him, I was looking around and wondering why people were looking to the centre but a spotlight located his position for me. After arriving back on stage the band went off to which cries of 'KAISER CHIEFS!' hit the air. The encore included new song Tomato In The Rain. I was never much of a fan of the new album Off With Their Heads but after hearing it live and listening to it over again I've found it to actually be quite good.
We were surprised with a new version of Love's Not A Competition (But I'm Winning) which was still a slow track but involved more from the drum and synth sections, as provided by the two Nick's (Hodgson and Peanut).
As usual, the Kaisers ended with Oh My God which was even better than I'd ever imagined and there couldn't have been a better way to close the set.
Kaiser Chiefs are certainly a band who know how to put on a good show, and certainly a band I would go and see again.

No comments: