Thursday 19 February 2009

Yeah, you are a shining light...

You know you've made it when the big stars such as Annie Lennox cover your songs. Which is the case of Ash this year whose song Shining Light recieved a nod from the former Eurythmics singer. It was already critically acclaimed, winning two awards for Best Contemporary Song and Best Single. The track had been covered previously by Coldplay and Noel Gallagher, who had noted it as being one of his favourite songs. I think it's one of Ash's best songs, alongside the likes of Starcrossed, Kung Fu and You Can't Have It All.
At the office we listen to Smooth FM, a radio station that focuses more on older, softer and pop music so I was surpised to hear the lyric "Roman candles that burn in the night..." I could tell it was a cover and so imagine my shock when I realised it was ANNIE LENNOX! Wow, aren't Ash doing well! Tim Wheeler from Ash has been quoted as saying "It's cool - I'm really into it. It makes me proud that someone of her stature and talent is doing something different with our song." And proud he should be! Annie Lennox is a legend and Ash just got better.
Annie Lennox - Shining Light

No comments: