Tuesday 9 June 2009

Middlesbrough Music Live 2009

This year, rather than attaching myself to one stage I roamed around the site a bit more and visited more stages. This way I did hear more bands but I'm going to focus on the ones I thought stood out.
First band was General Fiasco on the main stage, labeled by Adam as McFly-esque... only better, which is debatable as McFly are one of my favourite bands, but these guys were canny good.
Such Great Heights were one of the bands we happened upon during the first part of the festival. And they weren't that great either but they stand in my mind as being like Paramore. Not good.
We all headed off to Homegrown Outside for Said The Gramophone who all looked about 12 but oh so rock 'n' roll! They've clearly been brought up well, smashing up their guitars as the set closer. We salute you.
Will And The People we just stumbled across looking over the crowd from the Mima roof terrace. They were a lot less reggae than as described in the brochure.
Next up were Seething Floors on the Homegrown Stage. The band are from Oberhausen, Germany, Middlesbrough's twin town. The guitarist provided some amazing solos. Later in the evening we (myself, my sister and Adam) were sat at a bus stop when they bumped into us. They wanted to go to Premier Inn so I was happy to help them with directions.
We popped off to the hotel to check in, arriving back for Raygun and I wish I had been there for the full set! For fans of... [insert power-pop band here]. They have a good future ahead of them.
Album is out on October 26th...
Recent Subways supporters 3 Foot Ninja played the Homegrown stage, to a bigger crowd than earlier in the day. We caught them quite late on in the set, and it was then I decided the Middlesbrough music scene isn't all too bad.
We went to the Sumo stage ready for Twin Atlantic early because of the growing queue of scenesters so we stood through a set by Heaven’s Basement who, despite their comparisons, weren't really all that bad. I must say that it was one of the most violent mosh pits I have ever experienced.
Twin Atlantic! Even better than the first time we saw them! The crowd was a lot less violent, but then again I had pushed through to the barrier. After the set we congratulated half the band, collecting badges, stickers and autographs. Very nice.
Ebony Bones, main stage filler.
The Sunshine Underground I had heard before so was expecting something but was distracted. By this point we were in a royal box as sorts, a platform so far back from the stage intended for wheelchair users and children. From this point we could see most of what was going on in the crowd, and it involved a lot of policemen.
Then there was a long overdue wait for The Zutons due to roadies pretending to be rockstars. And then when they finally came on (half an hour late) they weren't all that great. We left as soon as they had played Valerie but apparently they were on stage until around 11.
So final thoughts... not as good as last year (due to terrible sound problems on the main stage). The line-up was full of bands I hadn't really heard of so it was a case of walking around and finding bands that caught my attention and I was surprised at how many there were!
Oh, and they had t-shirts this year!

No comments: