Sunday 19 July 2009

We Are The Physics

I promised photos and videos but I managed to forget to take my camera so I'm just doing a review instead.
There were five bands playing the Prancey Dog stage so we were headed there. Soundcheck was still on so we decided on our hunt for We Are The Physics and failed so went for a coffee at Great Coffee on the Quayside instead. Well, I had a strawberry milkshake. After that we decided to return to the venue where first band The Cornshed Sisters had just finished, said hi to Ross from The Futureheads and sat down on the plush tiered seats up the far wall. Not long after we struck gold, leaving the room only to bump into 3 Michael's and a Chris ('Eeeee, you've had your hair cut!') We had a nice chat with them before they disappeared backstage. I think we went back outside for a walk next, looking for the steps to The Cumberland Arms coming back to catch the end of Chippewa Falls who sounded amazing, their music reminding me of waterfalls and forests and stuff. I just seemed to melt away. It was the next interlude and I must have bumped into Michael M (literally) twice. Much fun. Next up was Lianne Hall with a guitar, a repeat pedal and a keyboard and using them all to great effect. We watched Les Cox (Sportif) from the balcony. I had already heard about them so what I was expecting was different to what we got. They were quite fast paced and dancey which is what I usually look for in a band. Managed to get a nice chat with the drummer afterwards, congratulating him on the set. Anddd... finally.... WE ARE THE PHYSICS!!! I. Was. Completely. Blown. Away. Last time they played in Newcastle one person turned up (that being my Adam) but they've collected together a few fans since then. For one song, Michael M wanted us to completely destroy the place including us jumping off balconies and breaking each others arms, a very violent mosh pit. For some reason the crowd had become a bit smaller after Les Cox (Sportif) but I'm pretty sure if everyone had stayed they would have been willing to participate in the request. As promised the set included a world wide premiere of new song Dildonics. It started a bit slow but turned out as a tune of the catchy variety, it's going to be a hit. Also played was the 'English National Anthem', the Eastenders theme tune. To close up for the night was a rendition of Less Than Three (featuring yours faithfully). Oh yes, I played Michael M's bass. Usually he gives the bass to a random crowd member and jumps around the crowd. Originally it was given to a lad at the other side who ended up stading it up in front of him because he didn't have a clue so I ended up with it, I very much confused Michael as he was looking for it to get it back! Overall it was the best I've ever seen them and I'm looking forward to them playing here again.
Post-show hugs and a chat with Michael Guitar followed, before we had to run to catch the last bus. We would have stayed if we could but next time they are here we will make it up for running off.

No comments: