Monday 12 January 2009

Much ado about nothing

2009. A new year. I flicked through this weeks copy of NME to find it was full of bands I've not heard of but I know they will all be generic indie bands. Bands this year will be aiming to be the new Ting Tings which just says it all to say the least. I'm looking forward to the new album from Maxïmo Park, I'm hoping it will shed light on the horizon.
Music has just deteriorated into this bland landscape of dreary bands playing the same songs, wearing the same clothes and modelling the same style bangs. I think the music era is over, unless someone is able to bring about a revolution, an uprising of sorts and change music from this commericial indie pap to lesser known bands who are likely to do anything to get their point across.

The film industry, however, is currently blaring! I went to a viewing of the new Seann William Scott flick on Saturday and I have to say it was one of the funniest films I've seen. I even thought it was better then Scott's previous offerings in the American Pie series as Stifler. Wheeler (Scott) and his 'friend' Danny (Paul Rudd) are threatened with jail after Danny has a bad day. To keep out of the slammer, they are forced to do 150 hours community service at Sturdy Wings, a centre that helps disadvantaged children by pairing them with adults in a big-brother style scenario. At first they can't connect with their 'littles' but when they do things start to go wrong which leads to Danny and Wheeler being banned from Sturdy Wings and again facing a jail sentance.
Role Models is an hilarious film with a good plot and a great cast all of who seem to fit their roles. Much of the soundtrack is provided by Kiss, which has quite a large part in the storyline. We learn quite a lot about the characters as well as what a whispering eye is. Role Models is in a similar vein to Adam Sandler's Sandler's Big Daddy (1999, 10 years old, already!) but with adult humour. I recommend it as one of the best American comedies of the decade so if you haven't seen it yet I suggest you go.
9/10

No comments: